From April 3, 2022, the "Eisenheim Folk Museum" in the washhouse will again be open on Sundays from 11 am - 6 pm. The opening of the residential house will follow in the course of the year.
It was here that workers who flocked to the mining area in large numbers in the golden age of the Ruhr industries found a home: in the Eisenheim housing estate in Oberhausen-Osterfeld. Eisenheim housing estate was established by the Hüttengewerkschaft Jacobi, Haniel und Huyssen in 1846 – making the housing estate the oldest of the numerous worker and mining settlements in the Ruhr region. As early as the end of the 1950’s more and more attempts were made to wipe out many of the old workers’ housing estates in order to replace the alleged outdated settlements with modern dwellings. But as the bulldozers approached Eisenheim in the 1970s, the residents put up a fight against the demolition in a campaign which found support throughout Germany.
Today the Eisenheim Museum tells the story of the housing estate, the fight against demolition and everyday life in the settlement.
Tickets for the Eisenheim Museum can be purchased on the site or in advance from our Webshop.